A summary of the past week of posts to my in-character Star Trek Online Tumblr, chronicling the adventures of E.N. Morwen, a science-loving and thoughtful young woman trapped in a galaxy of warring space giants.
- Suspect: In which Morwen hopes she’ll get to do science for once, and it goes about as well as you probably expect.
- War Games: In which fakes get real.
- Shutdown: In which the fakes getting real turns out to have been a fakeout, and now they’re really real.
- Temple Offerings: In which we get a fetch quest-y taste of why STO disabled “diplomacy” missions shortly before I started playing.
- Chapel System Patrol: In which some odd debris turns out to have ominous implications.
- Liuen System Patrol: In which Morwen tries to keep the Klingons from allying with the True Way.
- Culver System Patrol: In which Morwen encounters someone unexpected.
- Enocha System Patrol: In which Morwen investigates some sightings of the Jem’Hadar.
As the flag officer of a fleet or tactical group, Starfleet regulations also require Morwen to provide a Fleet Status Report briefly summarizing the current status and mission of all ships under her command, every Stardate that’s a multiple of 10.
Also, I am recruiting to found a new fleet (the STO equivalent to a guild), dedicated to roleplay and crossovers between people’s characters. Any Fed-aligned roleplayers welcome! Tentative premise is exploring the fact that we’ve pretty much all done the same story missions at different times, implying some weird temporal or parallel-universe shenanigans for us to investigate.
I have found an alternative to slowing the queue down: system patrol missions. I’ve inserted a bunch of them into the Deep Space Nine arc, and I think they actually work well, helping to create the sense that the True Way really are a threat and building up the Jem’Hadar presence.
I’m probably going to more or less finish the game’s story content tonight. There’s still those Rep missions, and some scattered missions in “action zones” that come up later in the game, and some Patrols I have to insert in later content, but basically I’ve hit the end for now. I’m currently brain-storming some ideas of what to do next–I’m thinking an arc kicked off by Morwen captaining the graduation tour of the Academy class of 2410 would make sense in a “full circle” sort of way, and then after that I’m thinking I’ll give her a break and let her do some actual exploration–maybe an arc involving exploring a new region of space out past the current limits of where the Federation’s been, making some first contacts, discovering some scientific curiosities, that kind of thing.